Google’s algorithm is constantly changing, so it is essential to always stay up to date. Doing SEO in 2020 means always keeping in mind some key aspects on which all SEO rotates in the last period. We know that it is necessary to rank top on SERP (Search Engine Results Page, that is, the results page on Google) because the vast majority of users inevitably click on the first results.
Undoubtedly, there are sites that receive most of the traffic from other channels, without making special efforts in the SEO field. For example, bloggers who have a strong presence on social networks or major brand sites
In any case, knowing the basics of SEO and gradually implementing them on your site in the long term will bring great benefits to your online presence.
So let’s see some tips on how to do SEO in 2020.
1) Optimize your site for mobile devices In addition to making sure that your site is absolutely responsive in the first place, and therefore that you choose the right WordPress theme, there are other precautions you can follow. AMP – Accelerated Mobile Pages
More and more people are accessing the web from their mobile phone and Google is rightly adapting their algorithms so that sites optimized for mobile devices are better positioned.Indeed, Google has even decided to restructure its indexing rules based on “mobile-first”, ie taking into consideration first of all the mobile version of the websites. One tool that can help you with this is AMP. AMP stands for Accelerated Mobile Pages, and it is a project that aims to provide content to users who surf the web from mobile even faster. AMP is an open source project, however there is a Google AMP cache that contains AMP pages.
If you are also interested in adding it to your site, try the AMP WordPress plugin. Limit pop-ups
One of the elements that most disturb mobile browsing are full screen pop-ups. For this reason, Google will penalize sites that show full-screen pop-ups, intrusions and / or that must be closed by the user himself before he or she can continue browsing.
It is important to note, however, that sites showing pop-ups required by law, such as the banner for the information on cookies, are not penalized. But all the other pop-ups, for example promotional ones or those that invite the user to subscribe to the newsletter, should be reduced so as to occupy about 20% of the screen of a mobile device. Pop-ups should not disturb browsing and should be easy to close.
2) Continue to publish long content, even less frequently Google is also taking care of providing content that is as high-quality and quality as possible. For this reason, doing SEO in 2020 also means paying some attention to what you write and also to what you write
The length of a text, although not always synonymous with quality, is still a sign of a certain level of depth of content.
For this reason, it would be better to publish a 2000-word post, very thorough and exhaustive on the topic covered, even only once a week, rather than 7 300-word posts.
Of course, everything helps: publishing a 300-word post is undoubtedly better than not posting anything for months and months, but the ideal length of the posts – so that they are SEO optimized – is around 1600 words.
3) Don’t abound too much with keywords! The concept of optimizing your content for a keyword is always valid. That is, choose a topic for your post, select a keyword, and insert this keyword in the title, in the meta description, within the text, etc. In this, a plugin like Yoast SEO can help you a lot.
However, what is changing is that the frequency with which the keyword appears within the content is becoming less important, to the advantage of synonyms. Let me explain: up to a couple of years, optimizing content for a given keyword meant making it appear ‘strictly’ every 100 words within the text.
Now, this is no longer necessary. Google has become much better at understanding synonyms and related words, so rather than always inserting the same keyword, make sure there is a good frequency of keywords related to the main one.
I understand how complicated this can be at times and in fact many of the customers who come to us for our SEO services make – among other things – this mistake too … very very often!
Just keep in mind one concept: Google is increasingly focusing on quality and user experience, therefore improving the readability of your articles using synonyms and therefore a more natural language (more intended for man and less oriented exclusively to bots) will surely come awarded.
4) Take a look at the Featured Snippets You may have already noticed that for some time Google has introduced the Featured Snippets, in the forefront of the search. In a nutshell, these are snippets of web pages that are placed prominently at the top of the Google results page. Featured Snippet content receives enormous visibility, so it’s good to be aware of it because it’s very important to do SEO in 2020.
How are the contents that appear in the Featured Snippet area selected? In fact, there are no rules that guarantee that a content snippet appears in the featured section of the SERP.
With that said, there are guidelines you can follow to increase the chances of your site being highlighted:
First, try to position your content well. The ideal would be in first position! Organize content well with heading H1, H2, H3, etc.
If the content in question is a tutorial, try using a bulleted list for the various steps. Obviously, properly optimize the content for the keyword you have chosen.
In some cases, the Featured Snippet functionality can help to significantly increase the organic traffic to the highlighted page. This is especially true when only the first steps of a tutorial or the first part of an explanation are highlighted.
However, there is a possible negative effect: it is true that your visibility will increase considerably, but if the user believes that the response provided by the snippet is quite exhaustive, he will not click on the result, and therefore the traffic on your site may be reduced.
5) Install an SSL certificate on your site An SSL certificate allows you to encrypt the information that is sent from the user’s browser to the server where your site is located. This serves to protect sensitive data that could be intercepted during communication, in fact, between browser and server.
For some time now, Google has started to ‘reward’ sites that adopt this type of security measures, so this is also essential for doing SEO in 2020.
I also noticed that more and more users are paying attention to the security level of websites.
For example, if you use Google Chrome and you have done the latest update, you will notice that now for sites that have installed an SSL certificate the wording ‘Secure’ in green appears very clearly in the navigation bar, on the left of the URL.
If you fear this happening, you can still fix it with a little trick. It is in fact possible to disable the functionality by adding the tag to the page. In any case, adding an SSL certificate to your site is usually quite simple. Many hosting providers already offer it as an included service (for example, on SiteGround even the basic plans have access to a free SSL certificate).
To have a higher level of protection, it is possible to purchase premium SSL certificates. Once the certificate is purchased, the SiteGround technical team will handle the installation of the certificate.
All the major providers offer SSL certificates, so I advise you to evaluate the options made available by your hosting service.
If you need help with SSL certificates, activate WordPress Assistance and we will get back to you within an hour.
6) Follow the basic SEO optimization rules The advice you find above is based on the latest SEO news. However, there are some basic rules that always remain valid. For example:
. publishes quality content; . optimize images; . make sure your site is fast.
Conclusion In today’s guide, we have collected tips on how to do SEO in 2020. I hope these tips will be useful and help you better position your site on Google and other search engines.